Here are top health benefits of walking:
- Walking is an excellent way to manage your weight. There are many negatives with a lot of different exercises, but walking doesn’t have any. In fact, you can walk as much as you want, have time for and are able to. It’s a relatively easy exercise that you can do almost anywhere (even back and forth in your hallway at home) that’s good for your whole body, not just one part. In addition to a 30-60 minute walking on a daily basis, you are also walking throughout the day, which means you’re working out constantly.
Using a pedometer can be beneficial because we now know that we should be walking a minimum of 10,000 steps a day in order for walking to be beneficial to us. Putting your pedometer on in the morning as soon as you get up will let you know how many steps you’re taking. You can make it into sort of a game and try to beat your previous walking record(s).
- Walking can help to prevent from diabetes and heart disease. Keeping your weight within healthy limits can help lower your risk for diabetes and heart disease. Walking can also help to control your blood pressure and can be even more effective than some medications (with no side effects).
People who walk regularly also are at lower risk for heart attack. In fact, they are 30 to 40 % less likely to have a heart attack than someone who does not walk regularly for exercise!
- Going for a walk helps to lower bad cholesterol levels. We hear a lot of hype about bad cholesterol, but we also need good cholesterol. Regular walking helps to reduce bad cholesterol while giving us more of the good stuff we need.
- Regular walking can be helpful in the reduction of risk for stroke. Another health benefit of regular walking is the reduction of risk for stroke. Specialists believe that a 30-60 minute walking at least five or six days a week can cut our risk of stroke by 50 percent.
- Regular walking can minimize the risk for breast cancer. In addition to walking cutting the risk of diabetes down, it also can reduce the risk of breast cancer. Walking, paired with a low-fat diet is the way to go if you’re trying to lose weight and stay healthy!
- Going for a walk on a daily basis make bones stronger. It also makes our bones stronger, gives us more energy and makes us feel good and sleep better. All-in-all, walking is hands down the best exercise there is. Almost everyone can do it and it is so good for us, you’d be crazy not to!
- Daily walking is the best natural source of oxygen. Every cell and tissues of our organism needs the necessary amount of oxygen in order to promote all our body organs to normally function. Fresh air is all-important for everyone, from babies to adults. Especially go for a walk with all your family just after the rain when air is rich in ozone that is very beneficial for total health, including activity of the brain. Let your baby breath in as much oxygen as he can.
- Walking is the best work-out for lazy people. Really, many lazy people choose this kind of sports as the main part of their weight loss program. Daily walking really works for everyone, even for the laziest people. The popular health expert Paul Bragg who died at the age of 95 because of surfing accident, recommended walking to everyone who wanted to live healthy and long life.