There are so many different ways that you can hug a person. Obviously, each type of hug is going to have a little different meaning to it, and that is particularly true when the hug comes from someone you are dating. Here’s our list of hugs and what they may mean, when they come from your date.
- The Buddy Hug – This is the one where they wrap their arms around you and pat you on the back; the kind of hug your buddy might give you. It’s really more of a ‘let’s be friends’ hug. This usually comes right after someone says they don’t want to date you anymore. “But we can still be friends, right?”
- The Sleepy Shoulder Hug – This is the one where you wrap your arms around each other, and the girl lays her head on the guys shoulder and rests there awhile. For her, this means: “I feel safe in your arms.”
- The Polite Hug – This is the kind of hug where they act like they’re trying to hug you without touching you. It is usually accompanied by the ‘polite smile’. This means that either, this is your first date, and they’re undecided about you, or its your last date, but you haven’t found that out yet. Sometimes it’s both, all wrapped in one.
- The Bear Hug – You know this one. This the real thing; you wrap your arms around each other and hold on tight. What does this mean? I missed you – I adore you – I couldn’t wait to see you. Definitely a positive sign.
- The Quickie Hug – This one comes as they are about to run off in another direction without you; not in a bad way. It just means they are in a hurry and excited about what they are about to do or where they’re about to go, but didn’t want you to feel left out.
- The Unreciprocated Hug – Otherwise known as being given the cold shoulder. When you hug and they stand there like a stiff board with their hands hanging at their side, you can be pretty sure they are not happy with you.
- The Snuggle Hug – This one usually takes place on the couch in front of the TV or the fireplace. It means they are enjoying being with you and want to stay close to you. (Don’t spoil the moment by getting up to go to the bathroom.)
- The Squeeze Hug – This type of tight hug is more of a “I had lots of fun” hug, than a passion hug. It is kind of a “thank you, let’s do it again” message.
- The Waistline Hug – This ‘hug’ is usually done while walking together or standing together. You both have an arm around the other one’s waist. This type of hug generally means ‘we’re together’ or ‘we’re a couple’.
- The Hug and Twirl – What does this mean? This means he hasn’t seen you for a long time, and he’s really happy to see you. You lucky girl, you!